第二节 Money & Numbers
数字 & 金钱
1. 1 800 000 759. 235
1 million = 1 000 000
1 billion = 1 000 000 000
1 trillion = 1 000 000 000 000
1/2 1/4 2/5 a quarter , three quarters
3. $1.23 $2 per kilo
4. a couple of dozens of, a dozen, scores of a gross of (=144) hundreds of thousands of
5. 89% 0.7%
6. times, multiply, minus, add, divide
7. Carl is 26. He was born in 1979.
8. The United States has a territory of 9,372,610 square kilometers.
9. Canada is the second largest country in the world with a small population of 28,529,000.
10. deposit / withdraw money from the bank
I make a monthly deposit of RMB1,000 at Guangdong Development Bank.And now I have a bank balance of 35,000 already.
11. Credit cards allows you to overdraw money from the bank.
apply for a credit card / to be pre-approved for a credit card application
a credit rating credit card, cash or charge, to put something on lay-a-way
12. open an account, checking account, savings account
13. bank teller, bank manager, loan officer
14. take out a loan, repay a loan, an interest rate of 17.5 percent
take out a mortgage on your house
15. accountant repossess
16. a student loan
17. to budget your money, to work out a budget
18. I’d like to have this check cashed / cleared.
19. cashier's check
20. money order
21. foreign currency
dollar euro Franc Mark yen ruble shilling rupee pound
22. A: What’s the exchange rate today?
B: One dollar equals 8.3 yuan.
23. A: How do you want your money?
B: In one hundred yuan notes, please.
24. to be paid by the hour
I earn $10 an hour.
25. I make/earn a wage of $600 a week. / His salary is $3 000 per month.
26. His overtime rate is time and a half/ double/ triple time.
27. Our payday is on the 9th of every month.
28. Holiday pay
pension social welfare benefits the dole (Australian) health care card
29. She got married to a really loaded man. I’m talking big bucks.
30. Ever since I became broke, my roommate has been trying to give me some money.
But I don’t take charity from people.