新手级: 新兵
该帖子已被mhq111111设置为精华;
摘自丁香网
《自然》杂志2003年刊登的一篇美文。
相关附件

茅茅:第1段译文由happyjyl提供,欢迎大家试着翻译其他段落,到时候重新设置精华

Four golden lessons
            ——Steven Weinberg

When I received my undergraduate degree — about a hundred years ago — the physics literature seemed to me a vast, unexplored ocean,every part of which I had to chart before beginning any research of my own. How could I do anything without knowing everything that had already been done?Fortunately, in my first year of graduate school, I had the good luck to fall into the hands of senior physicists who insisted, over my anxious objections, that I must start doing research, and pick up what I needed to know as I went along. It was sink or swim. To my surprise, I found that this works. I managed to get a quick PhD —though when I got it I knew almost nothing about physics. But I did learn one big thing: that no one knows everything, and you don’t have to.

Another lesson to be learned, to continue using my oceanographic metaphor, is that while you are swimming and not sinking you should aim for rough water. When I was teaching at the Massachusetts Institute of  Technology in the late 1960s, a student told me that he wanted to go into general relativity rather than the area I was working on, elementary particle physics, because the principles of the former were well known, while the latter seemed like a mess to him. It struck me that he had just given a  perfectly good reason for doing the opposite.Particle physics was an area where creative work could still be done. It really was a mess in the 1960s, but since that time the work of many theoretical and experimental physicists has been able to sort it out, and put everything (well, almost everything) together in a beautiful theory known as the standard model.My advice is to go for the messes — that’s where the action is.

My third piece of advice is probably the hardest to take. It is to forgive yourself for wasting time. Students are only asked to solve problems that their professors (unless unusually cruel) know to be solvable. In addition,it doesn’t matter if the problems are scientifically important — they have to be solved to pass the course. But in the real world, it’s very hard to know which problems are important, and you never know whether at a given moment in history a problem is solvable. At the beginning of the twentieth century, several leading physicists, including Lorentz and Abraham, were trying to work out a theory of the electron. This was partly in order to understand why all attempts to detect effects of Earth’s motion through the ether had failed. We now know that they were working on the wrong problem.At that time, no one could have developed a successful theory of the electron, because quantum mechanics had not yet been discovered. It took the genius of Albert Einstein in 1905 to realize that the right problem on which to work was the effect of motion on measurements of space and time. This led him to the special theory of relativity. As you will never be sure which are the right problems to work on, most of the time that you spend in the laboratory or at your desk will be wasted. If you want to be creative, then you will have to get used to spending most of your time not being creative, to being becalmed on the ocean of scientific knowledge.

Finally, learn something about the history of science,or at a minimum the history of your own branch of science. The least important reason for this is that the history may actually be of some use to you in your own scientific work. For instance, now and then scientists are hampered by believing one of the oversimplified models of science that have been proposed by philosophers from Francis Bacon to Thomas Kuhn and Karl Popper.The best antidote to the philosophy of science is a knowledge of the history of science.More importantly, the history of science can make your work seem more worthwhile to you. As a scientist, you’re probably not going to get rich. Your friends and relatives probably won’t understand what you’re doing.And if you work in a field like elementary particle physics, you won’t even have the satisfaction of doing something that is immediately useful. But you can get great satisfaction by recognizing that your work in science is a part of history. Look back 100 years, to 1903. How important is it now who was Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1903, or President of the United States? What stands out as really important is that at McGill University, Ernest Rutherford and Frederick Soddy were working out the nature of radioactivity.This work (of course!) had practical applications, but much more important were its cultural implications. The understanding of radioactivity allowed physicists to explain how the Sun and Earth’s cores could still be hot after millions of years. In this way, it removed the last scientific objection to what many geologists and paleontologists thought was the great age of the Earth and the Sun.After this,Christians and Jews either had to give up belief in the literal truth of the Bible or resign themselves to intellectual irrelevance. This was just one step in a sequence of steps from Galileo through Newton and Darwin to the present that,time after time,has weakened the hold of religious dogmatism. Reading any newspaper nowadays is enough to show you that this work is not yet complete. But it is civilizing work, of which scientists are able to feel proud.

Steven Weinberg is in the Department of Physics,
the University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712,
USA. This essay is based on a commencement talk
given by the author at the Science Convocation at
McGill University in June 2003.

为您推荐
您可能想找: 气相色谱仪(GC) 询底价
专属顾问快速对接
立即提交
mhq111111
结帖率:
100%
关注:0 |粉丝:0
没人支持?那好,我自己来!
我是一个科学爱好者,虽然实践经验很少,没有能够出什么发明成果,否则怎么会呆在这里?
但是我阅读了许多中外科学家的故事,得知这条道路虽然是一条很艰难的路,却自有乐趣在其中。并且,在一篇文章中我读到,搞科学并没有你想象的那么难,只要你持之以恒,就会在某一领域有所收获的。
中国人那么聪明,用的却都是老外的仪器,是不是太浮躁了些,搞科学的人太少了些?当然宏观方面的原因就不用多说了。
我只是希望这里的几个年轻的科学爱好者能够成为明天的真正的科学家。科学家应该成为人们最崇拜的人之一。
等到有空时我把这篇文章的大致意思跟大家说说,希望对你们有启发。

由于是先发后编辑,第一楼写不下的就在这里续了。

四个难能可贵的启示

第一段译者:happyjyl

遥想当年,我刚刚获得学士学位,物理学著作对我而言如同广博而深不可测的海洋。我诚惶诚恐地认为在开始自己的研究之前必须对这片海洋进行细致的探索,只有在详尽地了解前人研究的基础上才能开展自己的工作。幸运的是,在我做研究生的第一年,我碰到的资深物理学家不顾我忧心忡忡的反对,坚持认为我应该开始搞研究,边干边学。这如同把一个不会游泳的人推进水里,要么学着游泳,要么淹死。我惊讶地发现这招确实管用。我很快拿到了理学博士的学位,而那时我对物理学几乎一无所知。但我得到了一个重大启示:没有人通晓万事,也没有必要通晓万事。

注:a hundred years ago 形容年代久远

第2、3段译者:钱包丢了(fob204)

另一个值得借鉴的经验,继续沿用上面海洋学的比喻就是,要想学会游泳而不被淹死,你就要瞄着波涛汹涌的海面。 当我于二十世纪六十年代末在MIT执教时,有个学生对我说,他想去研究相对论,而不愿从事我所研究的领域--基本粒子物理。因为对他而言前者的原理已经众所周知了,而后者还是一团乱麻。 让我感到吃惊的是,他给出了一个非常完美的理由,但恰恰作出了完全相反的选择。粒子物理在那时是一个仍可以作出开创性工作的领域。在二十世纪六十年代,这一领域确实有如一团乱麻,但自那时起,许多理论和实验物理学家的工作已经将这一领域条分缕析,并将所有现象(是的,几乎是所有的)归结在一个名为“标准模型”的漂亮理论框架之下。我的建议是向一团乱麻的领域进军--那是还可以有一番作为的地方。
我的第三个建议也可能是最难以让人听取的,就是不要因为虚度光阴一事无成而责备你自己。教授们只是让学生去做那些他们自己知道可以解决的问题(只有极少数非常严厉的教授例外),至于这些课题的科学意义是否重要并没有多大关系----反正学生总要去解决点什么问题以通过课程。但在现实中,很难判断什么问题是真正重要的,并且你可能永远也不知道在某一历史时刻什么问题是可以解决的。例如在二十世纪开始是,有好几位世界顶尖的物理学家,包括洛伦兹(Lorentz)和亚伯拉汉(Abraham),当时试图建立一个关于电子的理论,这其中的部分原因是他们想弄清楚为什么所有试图检测出地球运动通过以太的效应的努力全都失败了。我们现在都知道他们当时所试图解决的是一个错误的问题。在当时不可能提出一个成功的电子理论,这是因为量子力学还没有出现。只有天才的爱因斯坦在1905年才意识到解决这一问题的正确方向,就是地球运动的效应可以通过对时间和空间的测量来确定,这使得他创立了狭义相对论。由于你可能永远也不能确定哪个问题是正确的,因此你花在实验室或桌子前的绝大多数时间可能都是虚度的。如果你想要有独创性,你就必须习惯于你的大多数时间都是在没有创造性中度过的,要习惯于在科学知识的海洋里潜心遨游。

mhq111111
结帖率:
100%
这是一篇老科学家对即将走上科学工作岗位的学生谈的4个金点子:
1. 没有人什么都知道,你自己也一样不必什么都懂。
2. 不要做别人已经研究透彻的领域,而是要找一些未知的或是模糊的领域。
3. 也许是最难做到的:原谅自己浪费时间!并不是一天到晚搞研究,那会很累的,去涉猎更多的知识领域,或者干脆旅游度假会有意想不到的收获。
4. 学点历史,相关学科的历史和哲学方面的知识。
  不知我这样理解对不对,盼望高手指正!
tzl75
结帖率:
100%
原文由 mhq111111 发表:
摘自丁香网
《自然》杂志2003年刊登的一篇美文。
相关附件

我帮你顶,确实做学问是很严肃的事,哈哈,来不得半点花拳绣腿,不过,很可惜哦,我们却的就是这些人
compassljp
结帖率:
100%
好文就要顶!好像咱们的论坛里好久没有这么经典的文章了!
pony2002
结帖率:
100%
renzhihai
结帖率:
100%
mhq111111
结帖率:
100%
终于有支持者了!不知我们论坛中谁的外语翻译水平最好?是上等兵吗?本人外语6级是通过的,但是水平不算高。自己心里有数。最好是既有水平,又愿意为大家贡献一点业余时间的!翻译是件很难的事,必须懂许多知识。
renzhihai
结帖率:
100%
结帖率:
100%
原文由 mhq111111 发表:
终于有支持者了!不知我们论坛中谁的外语翻译水平最好?是上等兵吗?本人外语6级是通过的,但是水平不算高。自己心里有数。最好是既有水平,又愿意为大家贡献一点业余时间的!翻译是件很难的事,必须懂许多知识。

呵呵!都六级了,还谦虚。
我有时间会仔细看看原文的。但有的时候看原文比看译文更亲切和准确。
mhq111111
结帖率:
100%
说得好,的确是这样。
所以我觉得象傅雷这样的翻译大师真是难得。
猜你喜欢最新推荐热门推荐更多推荐
品牌合作伙伴