浏览0 回复4 电梯直达
poorlittle
结帖率:
100%
关注:0 |粉丝:0
新手级: 新兵
该帖子已被redanqi设置为精华;

This is not a post regarding
专业英语, but a record of sharing my experience in the “English for the Professionals” with some young engineers last week. 
(Regarding English for the Professionals,  please refer to http://bbs.instrument.com.cn/shtml/20080220/1166437/ )

I had been a Resident Engineer and Project Engineer for more than 20 years.  Under the construction contract, certain proposal/design prepared by the Contractor should be submitted to the Engineer for approval before the implementation.  但有些方案或设计是承建商的责任, 是无需得到事先批准的, but some Contractors still submitted them to the Engineer for the reason that 若出现问题, 可以拉项目工程师落水一同负责。

If I do not respond, the Contractor may claim extension of time (延长工期) because of the delay due to Engineer’s late reply.  但我又不想对这类submissions明确表态, 後来得到上司指点, 常用以下官腔回复:

Your submission is noted, please ensure that your submission shall be strictly in compliance with the Contract and ……

这样的回复的优点是:

(1)  已回复, no delay in response;

(2)  没反对, 不对承建商构成delay due to Engineer’s disagreement;

(3)  没赞成, 有问题也与我无关。但我又不是不闻不问, 我己提醒了承建商的责任(in compliance with……etc.)

当然, 有问题时, 应负责的人还是要负责的。 但适当的措施会减轻责任的後果, 小心地滑效应。 (“小心地滑的牌子are always put on the floor at the entry of buildings in rainy day, 不是管理处特别关心你, 而是有人滑倒时, 赔偿可少些)

另外, emails满天飞的时代, if you are not requested to comment, 一句 “Noted.” or “Noted, thanks!” 可打发不少人。
为您推荐
您可能想找: 气相色谱仪(GC) 询底价
专属顾问快速对接
立即提交
可能感兴趣
poorlittle
结帖率:
100%
= = = = = =

But if comment on the matter mentioned in the email or on its attachment is requested, be careful!

As an Engineer, I used to comment from the engineering point of view.  但现实上, 一份文件除了技术部份外, 可能牵涉到其他如法规、财务等等。一份我同意(agreed, or even a simple and informal expression “thumb up”) 的文件可能出现法律问题, 尽管这份文件最终曾经法律部门审核, 但出现问题时可能自己也脱不了干系。 因为一出现问题时, 人家就会当你是行政管理人员, 不是纯技术人员了

以下是一些我常用来回应request for comment的句式, 特别强调comment的角度:

I have no comment from the engineering (or technical, pharmaceutical, administrative……) point of view

The following is (are) my comment(s) from the engineering point of view:

(有时会用We/our, 特别是已请示/知会了上级, 或代表公司/Project team回复.  Do not forget c.c. to them.)

如果情况需要较肯定的回复, 我会用以下方式再因应需要加[from the xxxxx point of view]:

No objection

No adverse comment

Agreed in principle

Agreed subject to

Agreed provided that

有时, comment是应该/可以暂不回复的:

(1) :

Please advise the particular aspects of comments you expected (required, requested).

Please further elaborate……

Please clarify……

Please send me the supplementary information about ……

(2) 将球抛出去:

I would onward pass your email to xxxxx for his consideration

Your email will be circulated to the members of xxxxx and you will be informed of their comments once available.

有时, 无需/或未及绐任何comment, 事件已satisfactorily taken by the event (事过境迁了).  Then no any further action is required.

我是有过惨痛教训才有以上一番话的, 但对一些在校或刚毕业的朋友, 可能对以上的卸责技俩不以为然。 不过不要紧, 只要记着, 当将来从技术岗位晋升至行政或半行政半技术的岗位(技术官僚), 要适当地调整一下处事方式。

赞贴
收藏
拍砖
2010/5/20 13:51:15 Last edit by poorlittle
何当奇
结帖率:
100%
myreebok
结帖率:
100%